Carbon Monoxide Awareness

Every year in the UK, more than 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, and around 40 people die. Small children and the elderly are most at risk. 1 in 11 boilers in the UK are unsafe. With this in mind I am raising awareness how important it is, to have a Carbon Monoxide detector in the house.

Carbon-monoxide-awareness

Carbon Monoxide is a tasteless gas. You wouldn’t necessarily notice when you breathe it in. When doing so, this can cause the people living in the house to suffer with long-term illnesses.

We have been having ongoing problems with our own boiler the last few years. When my fiance bought the house, we originally didn’t have any hot water and the boiler just kept making weird sounds. Up until the point where one day on New Years Eve a few years ago it sounded like it is going to blow up. Mainly because it was freezing cold outside.
2 years ago then we decided to buy a new boiler and we haven’t had any problems since.
Last year we had our annual boiler check up. The engineer noticed that we don’t have a carbon monoxide detector. Nobody mentioned this to us before. Luckily we could purchase one off him straight away and placed it on top of our kitchen press. This means we are protected for the future. Of course we hope this won’t happen but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

There are several factors you can look out for, to see if you have a carbon monoxide issue in the house:

– the main cause for this can be that the cooker, heater or central heating boiler was not installed correctly
– Dark staining around the appliances
– increased condensations in windows

If there was a case you detected carbon monoxide, you need to act fast. Turn off all appliances that are connected with this and open all windows and doors. Ring the National Gas Emergency service line immediately on 0800 11 999.

There are 6 main symptoms which are easily mistaken with flu like symptoms:

– Headaches
– Dizziness
– Nausea
– Breathlessness
– Collapse
– Loss of consciousness

To stay safe in your own home, I am collaborating with Corgi Homeplan, to give one of my readers the chance of winning one of their carbon monoxide alarms. Please check out their website for tips and advice on this poisoning gas.

Open to all residents in the UK and Ireland only. The giveaway will close February 1st.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

39 thoughts on “Carbon Monoxide Awareness

  1. I’ve certainly heard of it. And as a gas user having one of these detectors in our house makes a lot of sense.

  2. Yes i am aware as work in social housing it is astounding that people still have no knowledge of this dangerous gas

  3. Yes, we have one carbon monoxide detector already but I’ve read you should have one by every gas appliance so I really should have another downstairs.

  4. Yes I am and it does scare me. I think a lot of people are not aware of the dangers. I have a monitor in all the rooms with gas appliances and we just put a gas fire in the office but I still haven’t got a detector there yet.

  5. It’s so important to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide and it’s great that you’re raising awareness. It was so sad when carbon monoxide killed some people staying at a hotel in Cork a few years back.

  6. It would be the same situation with that. We don’t have gas in the home either. It’s oil we are using and is being filled up by a company automatically every now and then in the whole estate.

  7. yes I know about it.I made my eldest son take a carbon monoxide detector with him when he went to Greece to stay with his girlfriend!

  8. We live in a place that is all electronic so don’t have to worry about carbon monoxide poisoning. However I do feel its very important to know about it and I’ll make sure we definitely have a detector if we move to a place which has gas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge